[Annelida] Re: postdoc and job ad

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Thu Aug 7 15:06:11 EST 2008

Here is the missing attachment with the job details.
Direct responses to Pei-Yuan please.

Program Director Professor Pei-Yuan Qian (email: boqianpy from ust.hk)

—
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) and the King
Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) have recently
initiated a partnership research program in marine meta-genomics and
bioactive compounds of marine microbes from the Red Sea.  Under this
program, the following positions are available:

POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWS

Position 1: A post-doctoral fellow in the area of microbial
meta-genomics.  A PhD in the relevant field is required.  Candidates who
have a strong background in molecular biology, molecular microbial
ecology, are particularly welcome.

Position 2: A post-doctoral fellow in the area of proteomics.  A PhD in
the relevant field is required.  Candidates who have a strong background
in molecular biology, proteomics, are particularly welcome.

Position 3: A post-doctoral fellow in the area of natural product
chemistry.  A PhD in the relevant field is required.  Candidates who
have a strong background in analytical chemistry and natural product
chemistry are particularly welcome.

Position 4: A post-doctoral fellow in the area of marine molecular
biology/molecular microbial ecology.  A PhD in the relevant field is
required.  Candidates who have a strong background in molecular biology
are particularly welcome.

RESEARCH ASSISTANTS

Positions 5-9: Research assistants.  A BSc or Master degree in life
sciences, natural product chemistry, and marine biotechnology/biology is
required.

ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT

Position 10: Administrative assistant.  This position will provide
daily administrative support to the program director, Professor Pei-Yuan
Qian.  A BSc. or BA degree is required.  Candidates who have good
English writing and administrative skills are particularly welcome.

Positions 1-4 are for TWO years with possibility for renewal. The
appointed postdoctoral fellows will be KAUST employees and based at
HKUST for the first year of their contract. Two of these appointees will
be required to assist in setting up marine meta-genomic and bioactive
compound research laboratories at KAUST campus in the second year of
their contract (September 2009).  Accommodation will be provided during
their service at KAUST campus. Highly attractive package and benefits
will be offered to right candidates. Salary will be highly competitive
and depend on qualifications and experience.  Annual overseas incentive
allowance, University start-up allowance, annual leave, medical and
dental benefits, insurance will also be provided. The postdoctoral
fellows will be encouraged to apply for research scientist positions at
KAUST.
Other positions will be appointed directly by HKUST for ONE year with
possibility of renewal and work at HKUST for the full contract period.
Technical positions at KAUST can be opened for these staff members.
Salary and benefits will be highly attractive.
As English is the official media at HKUST and KAUST, all the candidates
must be fluent in English and equipped with good English writing skills.

Interested applicants are requested to send a detailed curriculum vitae
and a minimum of two references to the Program Director Professor
Pei-Yuan Qian (email: boqianpy from ust.hk; Tel.: (852) 2358 8395; Fax: (852)
2719 9102), Coastal Marine Laboratory, The Hong Kong University of
Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong.  Or email
to onon from ust.hk. In the covering letter, please state clearly which
position he/she is intending to apply for.  Although the positions shall
be filled ASAP, review of applications continues until the position is
filled.