[Annelida] metamerism

David Weisblat via annelida%40net.bio.net (by weisblat from berkeley.edu)
Mon Nov 10 13:10:33 EST 2008

Geoff is right that metamerism and segmentation are often used
synonymously. But since there are two nice distinct words, they can also
be used to distingush different degrees of regularity in body
organization as follows:

Segmentation: body plan in which two or more tissues or organs systems
(such as nervous, muscular, excretory, circulatory and/or integumental)
are organized metamerically along the A-P axis of the animal; metamers
of different systems have the same repeat length.

Metamerism: body plan organization featuring repeating units along the
A-P axis but falling short of the rigorous definition of segmentation,
e.g., only one organ system is arranged into repeating subunits, or the
spatial repeat lengths are different between systems.

With this set of definitions, one can perhaps distinguish metamerism
(in  flatworm, molluscs, nematodes) from segmentation (in most annelids,
arthropods and vertebrates).

Best,
David Weisblat

David A. Weisblat