Antw: [Annelida] help!unknown objects

Dieter Fiege via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Dieter.Fiege from senckenberg.de)
Fri Apr 17 02:26:12 EST 2009

Lisa,

to me these appear to be very small fragments of the periderm of a
young scyphopolyp of the Coronata, perhaps of the genus Stephanoscyphus
or Nausithoe or similar.

Have a look at the  "Kästner", Lehrbuch der Speziellen Zoologie, Vol.
I, Part 2, p. 66 or at the following references:

http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/ctz/vol74/nr01/art08  see Fig. 9
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x4032mn39g4k0282/fulltext.pdf  see
Fig 2a

Hope this helps.

Dieter

Dr. Dieter Fiege
Curator for Marine Invertebrates (Polychaeta)
Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum
Senckenberganlage 25
D-60325 Frankfurt/Main
Germany
ph: +49-(0)69-7542 1265
Fax: +49-(0)69-746238
www.senckenberg.de

>>> Lisa Grubb <lisa from seasurvey.co.uk> 04/16/09 11:41  >>>
These pictures were taking of a silk from the continuous plankton
recorder at the MBA - can anyone help with what it is?
Is it could be a cast from a polychete?  Probably not but I am
clueless!

Size of the mesh - holes inside are 280 microns, one picture you can
see
the mesh, the other is zoomed in so the mesh is a frame round the
edges.

Thanks