[Annelida] Ceylon Pearl Oyster Fisheries publication and BHL

Joao Gil via annelida%40net.bio.net (by gil from ceab.csic.es)
Wed Apr 22 12:51:41 EST 2009

Hello!

I thought that maybe some of you would like to have the original Willey's
publication discussed here:

WILLEY, A. 1905. Report on the Polychaeta collected by Professor Herdman, at
Ceylon, in 1902. Report to the Government of Ceylon on the Pearl Oyster
Fisheries of the Gulf of Manaar, by W.A. Herdman, D.Sc., .R.S., P.L.S., with
supplementary reports upon the Marine Biology of Ceylon, by Other
Naturalists. Part IV. Supplementary Report 30: 243-324, 8 plates.

You can find it at the Biodiversity Heritage Library. You can type in the
search box "Report to the Government of Ceylon on the Pearl Oyster Fisheries
of the Gulf of Manaar", then click in "pt. 4", and then go to page 243,

or you can just click in the following link and then go to page 243:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/18248

The plates are just following the text.

I would like to encourage all of you to use Biodiversity Heritage Library
(BHL) and if you like it, to give it your support. It is really easy to use,
you can make searches by authors, titles, taxa names or subjects, you can
download the whole publications, or just part of them to a limit of 50
pages, it is connected with Internet Archive (so you will not be losing the
possibility of locating publications in Internet Archive) and the plates are
normally in good quality. Sometimes there are errors with some pages, so
lets hope the error isn't just in the page you were looking for... I think
there is the possibility to write them reporting the error you have found,
but I confess that I never did it.

For instance, in BHL you can find the plates of the Siboga volume on
Amphinomidae Sergio was complaining about, in much better quality than in
Internet Archive:

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/18859

Besides, BHL is getting better, and what you can't find today, maybe you
will be able to find in next month, as new titles are added almost daily
(11,766 titles, 31,852 volumes, 12,855,318 pages just there, at the reach of
your finger tips). You can find lots of the classics (Audouin & Milne
Edwards, Grube, Örsted, Johnston, the huge publication on capitellids by
Eising in Fauna und Flora des Golfes von Neapel, more recent publications
like the volumes on South African polychaetes by Day, and so on...). Besides
seraching for the monographies, search also the journal titles for papers
(like Archiv für Naturgeschichte for some of the classical Grube's papers,
like his 1850's "Die Familien der Anneliden").

I don't know how many of you are directly involved in this project, but I
would like to congratulate its authors and everybody that is giving
finantial support to maintain and improve it. A good idea done in a
wonderful way.

Will BHL save taxonomy? I don't know, but it sure will help!

I hope that this email has also helped, in some way...

All the best,

João

João Gil
CEAB-CSIC
Carrer d'accés a la Cala Sant Francesc, 14
E-17300 BLANES (GIRONA)
SPAIN
Email: gil from ceab.csic.es
Telef. (34) 972.33.61.01