[Annelida] Internal fertilization in Terebellidae

Pierre CHEVALDONNE via annelida%40net.bio.net (by pierre.chevaldonne from univmed.fr)
Mon Apr 27 04:57:39 EST 2009

Dear Masha,

Alvinella and Paralvinella are not exactly
Terebellidae, so this may not be what you're
looking for. However, they are closely related to
them, so Salva was right to point this literature
to you. There are more papers on alvinellids if
you're interested, all suggesting internal
fertilization, but as far as I know, I think it's
only indirect evidence. You can find such papers
in the regular databases, but if you wish, I can list them to you.
Regards
Pierre

At 01:12 25/04/2009, Salvador Herrando-Perez wrote:

>Hi Maua, please check if the following
>references are of any use to you. I have ignored
>the Dani´s papers on the topic since you may have them all. Regards, Salva
>
>Molecular analysis indicates gene flow among
>populations of Paralvinella pandorae Desbruyeres
>and Laubier 1986 (Alvinellidae, Terebellida), a
>polychaete annelid endemic to hydrothermal vents
>of the northeast PacificAuthor(s): Knowles JD,
>Wenink E, Schult N, Tunnicliffe V, McHugh D
>Source: MARINE ECOLOGY-AN EVOLUTIONARY
>PERSPECTIVE    Volume: 26    Issue:
>3-4    Pages: 216-222    Published: SEP-DEC
>2005   Abstract: The polychaete annelid
>Paralvinella pandorae Desbruyeres and Laubier
>1986 is endemic to hydrothermal vents in the
>northeast Pacific, and is found at almost all
>vents sites along the 500-km long Juan de Fuca
>ridge (JdF) system. The sperm morphology of P.
>pandorae indicates that fertilization occurs
>internally or in the worm's tube, and the
>maximum observed oocyte size of 215 mu m
>suggests that a dispersive larval phase is short
>or non-existent. Size frequency analyses of
>populations of P. pandorae suggest continuous or
>semi-continuous recruitment of juveniles. Given
>Our limited knowledge of the species' life
>history, we predicted that populations of P.
>pandorae would exhibit a decline in genetic
>similarity with increasing distance among
>populations along the JdE While our attempts to
>use amplified fragment length polymorphisms to
>test this prediction were not successful, our
>analysis of cytochrome oxidase I gene sequences
>provided insights into the phylogeography of the
>species. For 31 individuals from five sites
>along the JdF there is little sequence variation
>among individuals and no phylogeographic pattern
>among haplotypes from populations separated by
>distances of Lip to 210 km. These results
>indicate that gene flow occurs among all sites
>in the analyses, i.e. despite the very limited
>dispersal potential inferred from life history
>characteristics of this worm, there is no
>evidence for isolation-by-distance across the
>geographical scale of the study. Demersal larvae
>dispersed by near-bottom currents might explain
>the gene flow among sites, as well as the
>establishment of populations of P. pandorae at new vents within a year.
>
>Oogenesis characteristics in the hydrothermal
>vent polychaete Alvinella pompejanaAuthor(s):
>Pradillon F, Gaill F Source: INVERTEBRATE
>REPRODUCTION & DEVELOPMENT    Volume:
>43    Issue: 3    Pages: 223-235    Published:
>JUL 2003   Times Cited: 2     References:
>35     Citation Map     Abstract: The morphology
>of the female genital tract and mechanisms of
>oogenesis were investigated through light and
>transmission electron microscopy in the vent
>polychaete Alvinella pompejana. We showed that
>the genital pore exhibits different morphologies
>in males and females and can be used for sex
>identification. The female genital tract
>consists of two oviducts that contain mature
> [...]

PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS / CHANGEMENT D'ADRESSE E-MAIL

Pierre Chevaldonné
CNRS - UMR DIMAR, Station Marine d'Endoume
Centre d'Océanologie de Marseille
Rue de la Batterie des Lions
13007 Marseille, France

Tel: 33 4 91 04 16 59
Fax: 33 4 91 04 16 35
E-mail: pierre.chevaldonne from univmed.fr
Web page:
http://www.com.univ-mrs.fr/DIMAR/admin/detailperso.php?nom=Pierre:CHEVALDONNE
Dimar Web page: http://www.com.univ-mrs.fr/DIMAR/