[Annelida] Notes on Grube Annelid paper of 1877, S. M. S. "Gazelle"

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Sun Aug 9 23:58:08 EST 2009

Hi all,

Some notes that might help if you have cause to look at (or for)
Grube's "Gazelle"  polychaete descriptions. In this he describes the
significant Kerguelen taxa Laetmonice producta, & Aglaophamus
trissophyllus (as Nephthys), amongst others. The Gazelle expedition
observed the transit of Venus in 1874 at Iles Kerguelen. There are worms
from a scattering of other places though.

In Hartman's 1951 "Literature" blue book, p.104-05, she had two
references for Grube (1877) "Gazelle" polychaetes, namely ref no's 56 &
57. I think 57 is just an incorrect variant of 56.

In the old Ward & Fauchald online bibliography at
http://134.60.85.50:591/PolyDB/FMPro there are also 2 variants, not
too far from the correct, at record no's 10696 & 6343. I think these
should be combined / treated as the same.

In WoRMs I think these two citation and species list entries should be
combined:-

http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=50053
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=50100

Grube's paper is digitised online, but is extremely difficult to find.
Format variants at:

http://www.archive.org/details/monatsberichted03berlgoog

Downloadable versions at:
http://ia301543.us.archive.org/0/items/monatsberichted03berlgoog/

Online start is:
http://www.archive.org/stream/monatsberichted03berlgoog#page/n558/

The citation should probably be something like:

Grube A-E 1877. Anneliden-Ausbeut S.M.S. Gazelle. Die von der Gazelle
(Capitain von Schleinitz) mitgebrachten Anneliden, zu denen noch zwei
von Dr. Buchholz gesammelte kommen. Monatsberichte der Königlich
preussischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin : 509-554.

Alternatively omit the first sentence. I have no opinion on a
publication date of 1878 versus 1877 - paper was presented in August
1877.

 Geoff Read <g.read from niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/
  http://www.niwa.co.nz/about-niwa