[Annelida] Publicity is good - usually

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Sat Aug 29 03:03:33 EST 2009

Hi all,

What is mentioned in this forum is up to its subscribers, and there's
quite a variety of topics that come up.  Annelid news items that hit the
press generally come from me - don't know why, but perhaps because I'm
in New Zealand which sees the next calendar date before most other
countries. Feel free to post about items earlier if you're directly
involved. I also am able to see the stories in the weeklys like Science
and Nature.  Some stories get posted because they're pet interests of
mine, or I find them amusing or odd, and anyone can do that too.

 I don't have time to keep up with all new papers on annelids, however
interesting, and the alerting systems offered by journals are pretty
good these days (Greg). If anyone wants an earlier mention or there's
some particular reason to do so (like a pdf available of a subscriber
only journal, a controversial or significant topic, when feedback
wanted) then an email can be sent direct to Annelida
<Annelida from net.bio.net> , most likely phrased in that modest,
self-deprecating way people tend to use for their own work.

However, it's especially helpful if new books are announced here by
those involved, because the abstracting agencies either ignore them or
take months to notice them.

In this regard:

New books

Publication of the Zoosymposia volume "Proceedings of the 9th
International Polychaete Conference" is imminent, as those who attended
the conference will be aware. Watch this
http://www.mapress.com/zoosymposia/content.htm space.

There's a multi-authored Annelida chapter in this book below, brewing 9
years since the species 2000 program began. But the book should be of
wider interest. Alert your librarians for a possible purchase. Part 1 of
an attempt to document all known biota in NZ. The 3 volumes will attempt
to list every one of the 55,000-plus known species of New Zealand’s
animals, plants, fungi and micro-organisms, and each chapter is an
authoritative, if necessarily brief overview of a phylum.

New Zealand Inventory of Biodiversity. Volume 1. Kingdom Animalia:
Radiata, Lophotrochozoa, Deuterostomia. Canterbury University Press,
568
[+ 16] p. NZD $89.95.  www.cup.canterbury.ac.nz
http://www.cup.canterbury.ac.nz/catalogue/NZ_Inventory.shtml

Publicity doesn't say if the below book was commissioned, or the result
of a meeting. Several of you will know this. I don't.

Annelids in Modern Biology, edited by Daniel H. Shain
http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470344210.html

ISBN: 978-0-470-34421-7
Hardcover
359 pages