[Annelida] Biggest earthworm

James Mahaffy via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Mahaffy from dordt.edu)
Mon Mar 30 14:37:16 EST 2009

I am lecturing on annelids in Zoology and I decided to check the size of the largest worms. A number of places on the internet give 22 feet as the size of a record for "The South African Giant Earthworm grows to be up to 22 feet and is the largest earthworm known. The record-setting specimen was found beside a road in William's Town, South Africa, in 196&."   This came from http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0621/p18s02-hfks.html but I saw the same length quoted on a lot of sites.  That almost sounds to be too big to me but it sounds like it might have been specimen vouchered.

Is this right?  I know the South Africa giant worm typically only 6 feet long.

Also are al the Lumbricus terrestris worm in North America european worms that displaced native earthworms?

bcc to my Zoology class.