[Annelida] Fwd: Marphysa sanguinea life history

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by gread from actrix.gen.nz)
Fri May 1 23:26:00 EST 2009

Posted on behalf of Richard Lord <fishinfo from guernsey.net>

G.

 From: Richard Lord <fishinfo from guernsey.net>
 Date: 1 May 2009 14:31:50 BST
 To: annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
 Subject: Marphysa sanguinea life history

 Over the last eight years I have witnessed heavy harvesting pressure
 of Marphysa sanguinea in local bays for use as fishing bait.

 I would like to find out if the harvesting of Marphysa sanguinea in
 local bays is sustainable.

 I would appreciate receiving general information on the life history
 and ecology of this species.

 Some of the questions I am seeking answers for are:

 What is the longevity of Marphysa sanguinea?

 How old it is when it first breeds and how many years does it breed
 for?

 How long do the larvae stay in the water column before settling to
 the sea bed and how widely dispersed can they be before settling to
 the bottom.

 I wish to know whether transplanting of this species from nearby
 areas has been tried to repopulate a shore?

 I have a photograph of the species here:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2074700_Fqi4W/1/107636133_pJKtM#107636133_pJKtM

Large numbers of individuals are dug up in our local bays:
http://www.sealordphotography.net/gallery/3514797_L9f6K#113230983_fMYSP

 Our specimens grow to a length of about 60 cm:
http://www.sealordphotography.net/gallery/3514797_L9f6K#113230350_txHH2

 I have searched the Internet and found a few abstracts but I do not
 have a local library available to provide me with any journals.

 Thank you for the help you can provide.

 Best wishes,

 Richard

 Richard Lord