[Annelida] best taxonomic tree

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Tue May 5 16:19:34 EST 2009

Stan,

I don't know about a taxonomic tree (a moving target - do you mean conflicts in genus placement in families or families into higher clades? Such as the 'Pogonophora' groups maybe?), but the best resource on this planet for taxonomists for Polychaeta information is within the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) at www.marinespecies.org.   There is a wealth of detail to explore.

Thank you, thank you, Dr Fauchald sir, and helpers. It is surely saving people countless hours in research time.

ERMS (MarBEF system) gets data from WoRMS, but I'm not sure why one would use it instead of WoRMS directly. A caveat with WoRMS is that there may be conflicting information, and synonymies should not be assumed to be invariably correct (they are not chiselled in tablets of stone by a higher power), though mostly they will be. As always one's own judgment is required to interpret the information, and some further investigation may be necessary.

Geoff

--

 Geoff Read <g.read from niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/