[Annelida] Collective nouns?

Christopher Glasby via annelida%40net.bio.net (by chris.glasby from nt.gov.au)
Sun May 17 19:02:41 EST 2009

'Wiggle' is nice idea, although I am not sure how journal editors will
feel about replacing the more traditional (but admittedly not specific)
'community' and 'assemblage' ;-)

A 'school' of typhloscolecids might work though!


-----Original Message-----
From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Brian Paavo
Sent: Sunday, 17 May 2009 7:32 PM
To: annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Annelida] Collective nouns?


During a recent, mostly frivoulous, discussion a colleague asked me 
about marine collective nouns.  I suddenly realised that I didn't know 
of any accepted collective nouns for single species or multispecies 
aggregations of worms.  I've always used generalised (e.g. aggregation) 
or structure specific (e.g. mat) terms.  That night we decided on a 
'wiggle' of worms for a multispecies multitude.  I searched annelida 
archives and didn't find any reference to collective nouns.  Online I

bed, bunch, clat, clew (http://mindprod.com/jgloss/collectivenouns.html)
knot, bryce 

and other circular references to these.  I saw clew and knot reported 
most commonly, but as I've never heard a wormer use those terms in any 
but a nautical sense I'm doubtful.  Is there an accepted collective 
noun?  Should there be?  Does anyone use one? 


Annelida mailing list
Post: Annelida from net.bio.net
Help/archive: http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/annelida
Resources: http://www.annelida.net

More information about the Annelida mailing list