EurObis Re: [Annelida] MacroBen theme section [Marine Ecol. Progress 382]

Geoff Read via (by from
Sat May 30 01:45:57 EST 2009

On inquiry I found out that some of the MacroBen data is available through EurOBIS, which I hadn't tried before (since I'm a long way away from the Med & North Sea, etc). It has a nice GIS-layers mapping facility and full downloading facility for the map data. There is a restriction in that it only works in MS internet explorer, and requires a plug-in SVG viewer from Adobe. Heaps of polychaete data though if you are interested in a particular species or in the area generally.  Overall 6,800,000 distribution records; 15,000 species.

>>> On 9/05/2009 at 7:29 p.m., "Geoff Read" < from> wrote:
> Gidday,
> One for the ecologists. I know nothing much about this European project but
> some on the list will. There are also some chemosynthetic environment papers
> in the issue. The database MacroBen is apparently only accessible by
> participant institutes.
> Open access to theme papers.
> Introductory:
> Somerfield, P. J.; Arvanitidis, C. ; Vanden Berghe, E. 2009:  MarBEF,
> databases, and the legacy of John Gray.  Marine Ecology Progress Series 382:
> 221-224.

 Geoff Read < from>