[Annelida] Odontosyllis is not a fireworm

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by gread from actrix.gen.nz)
Mon Nov 30 02:07:29 EST 2009

Hi Sven,

Odontosyllis enopla is also known as the Bermuda Glow Worm, and there are
Glow Worm Cruises for tourists.

http://emilyanncrawford.blogspot.com/2009/06/bermuda-glow-worm.html

I was thinking I'd invent the term 'nightlight worms' for Odontosyllis
species in general (we have them in New Zealand too, and I have caught
them swarming in abundance on a few occasions), but the marine glowworm
seems a pretty good common name to me.  There is no fire involved, whereas
(reputedly) quite a bit of fire is experienced after careless handling of
a live amphinomid. A similar usage to 'fiery' chili peppers.

Best to minimize use of all common names for groups probably. And
certainly best not to expect sharp logic in usage. There are no marine
bamboo plants for  bamboo worms to eat (tenuously  lookalike), and I don't
know what connection nereidids have with rags. Rag worms = ragged worms,
as against smooth-bodied earthworms? Lugworms? Don't know the etymology.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey B. Read, Ph.D.
Wellington, NEW ZEALAND