[Annelida] Paradoneis

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Thu Sep 10 00:33:10 EST 2009

Hi Brian,

With 2000 specimens, some of which must be good, you should be able to make a determination, if one is indeed possible. Usually I get sent battered short ant. fragments from New Zealand harbours that I don't venture beyond placing as a Paradoneis. We also have deeper water Paradoneis - bits and pieces.

It was Andy Mackie (in Ophelia Suppl, 1991) who separated eliasoni off from lyra, and it (eliasoni) was found to be a deeper water species, with acicular posterior chaetae that are lacking in lyra. As yours are very shallow water and a different hemisphere the chances of your NZ worm (although also with acicular chaetae) being the same species is low. If that's the only known Paradoneis with acicular chaetae you probably have an unnamed taxon.

There is a published record of P. lyra for NZ - in Kirkegaard, 1996, from 610m off West Coast, South Island. P. lyra is also commonly reported from estuaries around the world, but this is likely to be only because it is the best known of the genus.

There are only 2 Paradoneis sequences in GenBank, & they not identified to a species. No help there yet. But that may be the best way these very morphologically uniform species can be worked out without agonising over natural variation, and whether my observed pointed branchiae are your blunt branchiae, etc. Words can only do so much.

Not much in the way of Paradoneis in neighbouring Antarctica is there? Not sure whether Paradoneis belgicae (Fauvel, 1936) still belongs in the genus, but haven't checked it out.

Geoff