[Annelida] Rhynchonereella good Rhynchonerella bad?

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Tue Sep 29 17:47:11 EST 2009

Dear all,

The name Rhynchonerella (Alciopidae) is a very deeply entrenched misspelling, one I have also unfortunately used in print, although Hartman 1959 has the correct Rhynchonereella, double e double ell, in her catalogue, and the correct citation in her bibliography.

At the moment I think this is just a simple matter of using Costa's original spelling. If anyone has thoughts or advice on this issue or knows where the conflicting usages have been discussed in a publication please let me know. We are currently trying to reconcile the WoRMS entries so they are correct & consistent (so I don't need to know about what is currently there thanks). The name was published in Costa 1864 ("Illustrazione Iconografica ..." paper, NOT the often-quoted 1862 'Descrizione di alcuni Anellidi' paper - I've verified this myself, so I don't think I need advice on that either thanks, but feel free to check with your own eyes :-))

Hope the above wasn't too arcane for the big picture guys.

 Geoff Read <g.read from niwa.co.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/
  http://www.niwa.co.nz/about-niwa