[Annelida] FW: North Atlantic Polychaete

Kroeger K. via annelida%40net.bio.net (by K.Kroeger from noc.soton.ac.uk)
Thu Dec 2 08:53:34 EST 2010

From: Kroeger K.
Sent: 02 December 2010 13:46
To: annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: North Atlantic Polychaete

Dear all,

I took this footage yesterday with an ROV close to the polar circle (66°34' N  03°32'46' E), Norwegian Sea in 1450 m depth, water temperature ca. -0.8 C. The beast should be about 10 cm.

Unfortunately we did not have the equipment on the ROV to collect the specimen and I haven't seen anything similar on the previous dives we have done at this side. However, the ROV team is designing a contraption now to go 'fishing' for specimens tomorrow when the waves hopefully have died down.

Does somebody recognise this 'beast'? The site is close (ca. 70 m) from a source of disturbance, but I haven't seen much that would qualify as prey on the sediment surface.

My apologies for sending this as 2 files, but otherwise the mail gets bounced back at me.

Thank you for any insights,

Kerstin Kröger, PhD
Benthic Ecologist
SERPENT project
Ocean Biogeochemistry and Ecosystems
National Oceanography Centre
European Way
Southampton SO14 3ZH
United Kingdom

phone: +44 (0)2380 596 363

k.kroeger from noc.soton.ac.uk<mailto:k.kroeger from noc.soton.ac.uk>