[Annelida] Mystery worm rock Sabellariidae?

H.A. ten Hove via annelida%40net.bio.net (by H.A.tenHove from uva.nl)
Sat Jan 2 15:26:37 EST 2010

Dear colleagues,

The low resolution photograph, and Blair's original comment "The
tubes appear calcareous, with no constituent sand grains visible
through a loupe." show no sandgrains, but smooth calcareous walls.
Sabellariid tubes are made of sand grains, cemented together.
Nevertheless, the grains are individually recognizable, as opposed to
the above.

A magnification of the photograph by Blair Witherington, which he
sent me a couple of days ago, confirmed my suspicion that he rather
was dealing with a clump of Dodecaceria [Cirratulidae] tubes, compare
Figure 1 in : Hove, H.A. ten, & P. van den Hurk, 1993.- A review of
Recent and fossil serpulid "reefs"; actuopaleontology and the 'Upper
Malm' serpulid limestones in NW Germany. Geol. Mijnbouw 72: 23-67, 12
figs, 5 tabs.  with Blair's photograph.

Apologies for not having shared this info with Annelida.net, but the
magnification made me remark directly to Blair:  Very reminiscent
indeed of what I have seen of Dodecaceria, Recent and Fossil. In the
U.S.A., Oregon, Lincoln County clumps of Dodecaceria fistulicola (Nye
Mudstone Formation, Miocene?) are often cast ashore. These are
whitish/greyish in my recollection, [sent to me by Guy DiTorrice,
2002], and the specific attribution to a Recent [fistulicola] name
may be questionable.

I have seen material of Dodecaceria coralii [another calcareous tubed
cirratulid] from Georgia, Sapelo Sound, N of Blackbeard Island, which
is not too far from North Carolina.

If you cannot find mentioned publication, in which the photographs
are reasonably well printed, I can send you a pdf upon request,
however, with not too good photographs.

dr. Harry A. ten Hove
Zoological Museum
University of Amsterdam