[Annelida] oocytes of lugworms

Stefan Goerlitz via annelida%40net.bio.net (by goest933 from student.otago.ac.nz)
Sun Jan 24 18:46:39 EST 2010

  Hello everybody,
My name is Stefan and I am a Phd student at the Portobello Marine
Laboratory, working on the lugworm Abarenicola affinis in sand- and
mudflat of the Otago Peninsula (Dunedin, Otago, South New Zealand).
Over the past two years I have collected a large number of lugworms.
The worms were fixed (Formalin 4%) and subsequently preserved (Ethanol
70 %). Recently I started to look at fecundity and egg-maturation in
females. I extracted a drop of coelomic fluid from a few specimen for
microscopic examination. The attached photographs show the only
consistent structure I found and believed to be oocytes; roundish and
with a distinctive ring. Since I have not worked in the field of
reproduction biology at all, I would like to know if anyone who has
experience with this kind of work could confirm or not confirm these
structures being oocytes? Furthermore I was wondering if sperm of
males can be observed with the same method and how they would look like.
Thanks in advance,
Stefan