[Annelida] oocytes of lugworms

Ann ANDERSEN via annelida%40net.bio.net (by andersen from sb-roscoff.fr)
Mon Jan 25 04:48:54 EST 2010

Hello Stefan,
	Your photos show small oocytes with an internal small round  putative
nucleus- (you can confirm that with a DNA stain like Dapi which will
make the nucleus fluorescent) - meaning that they are primary oocytes.
In the  lugworm the oocytes are normally shed at the stage of
metaphase I, meaning they have gone through the oocyte maturation with
germinal vesicle breakdown and formation of the metaphase plate- that
you also can check with a DNA stain.

	To see the sperm you will need a high magnification (from objective
x40 to higher)  and it is easier to recognize the sperm by its
flagellae when the sperm are mature to spawn.
Hope this can help you on the way,
Wit regards,
An

Le 25 janv. 10 à 00:46, Stefan Goerlitz a écrit :

> Hello everybody,
> My name is Stefan and I am a Phd student at the Portobello Marine
> Laboratory, working on the lugworm Abarenicola affinis in sand- and
> mudflat of the Otago Peninsula (Dunedin, Otago, South New Zealand).
> Over the past two years I have collected a large number of lugworms.
> The worms were fixed (Formalin 4%) and subsequently preserved
> (Ethanol 70 %). Recently I started to look at fecundity and egg-
> maturation in females. I extracted a drop of coelomic fluid from a
> few specimen for microscopic examination. The attached photographs
> show the only consistent structure I found and believed to be
> oocytes; roundish and with a distinctive ring. Since I have not
> worked in the field of reproduction biology at all, I would like to
> know if anyone who has experience with this kind of work could
> confirm or not confirm these structures being oocytes? Furthermore I
> was wondering if sperm of males can be observed with the same method
> and how they would look like.
> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan
>

> <lw.pdf>_______________________________________________