[Annelida] Re: Marine Annelid from Jersey

Paul Chambers via annelida%40net.bio.net (by paulmchambers from hotmail.com)
Thu Mar 4 07:48:58 EST 2010

Dear All,

I am an amateur marine zoologist on the British Channel Island of Jersey about 100 km south of the English coast and 20km from the French Normandy coast. My main interests are molluscs and crustaceans but on Tuesday I came across a polychaete worm the like of which I have not seen before and which I have not been able to identify using the limited literature I have available to me. I am hoping that someone on the list might be able to help out.

The worm was 22cm long and living in fully marine, loose muddy gravel close to an area of eelgrass (Z. marina) located at the lowest point of a very big spring tide. Also in the area were a number of Chaetopterus tubes and a very long species of Glycera (G. gigantea?). The mystery worm caught my attention because it was so wide and robust. It curled itself into a knot when disturbed but when straightened it had a flattened body shape. The upper surface was rough and looked leathery (almost fibrous) with a series of ridges running from the central line to the outside egde (possibly in a 'herring bone' pattern). Underneath it looked like a large Nereid. There were a series of wide scales running along the edge of the head region. Having been bitten by large worms before, I handled it rather carefully but it was very robust and active.

I did not collect the animal but have put some pictures on this website: http://www.paulchambers.eu/Karame2Mar2010B.jpg

Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received.

With best wishes,

Paul Chambers
paulmchambers from hotmail.com