[Annelida] Re: Jersey Annelid

Paul Chambers via annelida%40net.bio.net (by paulmchambers from hotmail.com)
Mon Mar 8 04:40:47 EST 2010

This is just to say thank you to all the people on the list that took the time to contact me with regard to mystery annelid I found last week.

General consensus is that it is Pelogenia arenosa, which is apparently common on the adjacent French coast and has two Victorian records from Jersey. I have since spoken to a fisherman who says he has encountered this worm while digging for bait on very low tides. I will need to find another specimen to confirm the identification but based on the descriptions I have read, I am hopeful that it is P. arenosa.

For those that are interested, I have put a list of the known Jersey marine annelid species on a website: http://www.paulchambers.eu/jersey_marine/annelida.html

and there is a searchable database containing summary records for all Jersey marine species here: http://www.paulchambers.eu/jersey_marine/cimldatabase.html

Thank you again and best wishes,

Paul Chambers