[Annelida] Worms inhabiting Pectinariidae tubes

Lovell, Larry via annelida%40net.bio.net (by LLovell from lacsd.org)
Tue Nov 30 15:41:00 EST 2010

I agree with Dave's assessment.  The papillate nature on the bulbous end is characteristic of sipuncluids.

Larry

Lawrence L. Lovell
Biologist II
Ocean Monitoring Research Group
County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles
24501 S. Figueroa St.
Carson, CA 90745
(310) 830-2400  X-5613 office
(310) 952-1065 fax
llovell from lacsd.org <mailto:llovell from lacsd.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu]On Behalf Of Karlen, David
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:23 PM
To: Christina Carr; annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: [Annelida] Worms inhabiting Pectinariidae tubes

Hi Christy,

My best guess is a sipunculid. We usually find them in gastropod shells, but I would think a discarded pectinariid tube would make a nice home too.

Take care,

Dave

David J. Karlen, General Manager I
Environmental Monitoring Section/Benthic Monitoring Program
Water Management Division
Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County
3629 Queen Palm Drive
Tampa, FL  33619-1309

Phone: (813) 627-2600 x1202
Fax: (813) 627-2650
email: karlen from epchc.org

Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County
An agency with values of environmental stewardship, integrity, honesty, and a culture of fairness and cooperation

Mission: To protect the natural resources of Hillsborough County through local control and regulation of activities that may cause pollution

Vision: To provide enhanced natural resource protection using sound science and technology in an effective and efficient manner