SV: [Annelida] Hirudo medicinalis neotype

Christer Erséus via (by christer.erseus from
Fri Apr 1 09:43:13 EST 2011

Hi everybody,

If you want to see the Hirudo mecicinalis neotype article mentioned by Geoff Read, you may contact me for a pdf.

Professor Christer Erséus
Department of Zoology
University of Gothenburg
Box 463
SE-405 30 Göteborg, Sweden
christer.erseus from
tel +46-31-786 3645
mob +46-703 576 713

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: annelida-bounces from [mailto:annelida-bounces from] För Geoff Read
Skickat: den 1 april 2011 05:31
Till: annelida from
Ämne: [Annelida] Hirudo medicinalis neotype

Hi all,

This paper could be interesting for a number of reasons (not open access so I have not seen it).

Kvist, S.; Oceguera-Figueroa, A.; Siddall, M.E.; Erseus, C. (2010). Barcoding, types and the Hirudo files: Using information content to critically evaluate the identity of DNA barcodes. Mitochondrial DNA 21(6): 198-205.

Abstract: " ...we designate a barcoded neotype of the European medicinal leech, Hirudo medicinalis, on morphological and geographical grounds."

As the journal is online with "a single print archive copy of the entire volume being published at the end of the year"  any nomenclatural acts would date from the print version. Assuming some contrarian doesn't get in first with a different neotype, since there appears to be that window of opportunity.  Oh, the joys of adjusting to the digital age.

Annelida mailing list
Post: Annelida from