[Annelida] RE: Capitella in Antarctic conditions

James Blake via annelida%40net.bio.net (by jablake9 from gmail.com)
Tue Dec 20 17:47:21 EST 2011

Hi all,

I have known Adam Marsh (Univ of Delaware) for a long time; he is a very
capable scientist and has published on biological processes and their
genetic mechanisms with various invertebrates (including Capitella and
Streblospio). We were together at McMurdo in Jan 2000 together with Stacy
Kim, also on his project team and who is a benthic ecologist at the Moss
Landing Marine Laboratories. Both Adam and Stacy dive under the Antarctic
ice to collect samples for their research.

I will be collaborating with Adam on the morphology, taxonomy, and life
history of the Capitella that has been collected and that is currently in
culture. Bipolar comparisons are definitely in the works.

Jim Blake

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Geoff Read <Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz>wrote:

>  Only by genetics probably, C perarmata Gravier being sufficiently alike
> C. capitata morphologically to be confused. Sure hope they’re doing that
> too.
>
> Maybe the bipolar study people could have looked at the respective
> Capitella.
>

> Geoff

James A. Blake, Ph.D.
Marine & Coastal Center