[Annelida] Checking Rosa 1908 on Tomopteris

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by g.read from niwa.co.nz)
Wed Feb 2 00:51:34 EST 2011

Thanks Alex,

I think your analysis might be very close to it. The "Istituto di Studi Superiori Pratici ...Firenze" component seems largely irrelevant for identifying the work. There exists a unique Liguria Expedition report series, published by that Istituto, consisting of 2 volumes, each with several fascicles (see Hartman 1951:229 Angelo Senna citation, and disregard p.217 where she has a rather confused version of the Rosa citation). It seems to be a fairly rare work, and I could find little online about it or the Liguria Expedition. I suspect the Duke (Prince Luigi Amedeo, Duke of the Abruzzi) was too busy dashing about to have done the editing. Perhaps Senna edited it as well as writing parts.

As regards the content, no digitisation of the original seems available (still hoping someone can help with that), but Jim Blake has dug out a copy of an English translation done by the Canadian translation service and given me a pdf scan. Thanks very much Jim.

I've put the translation online: http://www.annelida.net/translation/transl.html#rosa-1908  and my current version of the citation at WoRMS is at:
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=51583

That's as far as I can go unless anyone has a better knowledge of the hard copy work.

Geoff