[Annelida] Id for drift tube cluster?

Jackie Hill via annelida%40net.bio.net (by jackie from seasurvey.co.uk)
Mon Feb 7 04:14:22 EST 2011

I'm pretty sure the light brown coloured tubes are the stalks of goose
barnacles, particularly as there is still one goose barnacle attached.
There is also what looks like a small white calcareous tube within the
mass that maybe that of a serpulid polychaete although I would trust
someone else's judgement on that!
Kind regards
Jackie

On 05/02/2011 01:57, Geoff Read wrote:
> Id suggestions sought.

> <ppockling from eastlink.ca>  wrote
>
> I received this query from a colleague in Bermuda.
> -----He has made a guess at a "tube worm cluster".  It is growing
> on a velcro strap that he picked up off the beach in December. He has
> seen the "tubes" at least once before, also on floating debris. The
> barnacle in the picture is 1cm long.
>
>   I don't recognize the tubes but wonder if you would put it on the
> annelid list.  Perhaps someone out there will know which animal built
> the tubes.
>
> Pat Pocklilngton
>   <ppockling from eastlink.ca>
>
> ===========================

> NIWA is the trading name of the National Institute of Water&
> Atmospheric Research Ltd.

Dr Jacqueline Hill
Senior Marine Ecologist

Marine Ecological Surveys Limited