[Annelida] Id for drift tube cluster?

Mary Petersen via annelida%40net.bio.net (by polychaete1 from gmail.com)
Thu Feb 10 05:30:18 EST 2011

Hi Pat and others,

Could these perhaps be tubes of chaetopterids? If they are open at both ends
it's a possibility, perhaps even if they are not. Some species can form very
dense aggregations, and big tubes start out as very small ones. I don't know
how much genetic information would be in the tubes, but they are secreted by
the worms, so a DNA check by one of our experts might throw some light on
the picture. If the tubes all seem to be contaminated with human DNA, I have
been told that there is a way to get the program to ignore anything
referring to the human fraction and concentrate on what's left.

I look forward to hearing what you find out!

Mary

Mary E. Petersen
polychaete1 from gmail.com