[Annelida] New symbiotic scale-worm

Daniel Martin Sintes via annelida%40net.bio.net (by dani from ceab.csic.es)
Wed Jan 5 02:45:15 EST 2011

Dear colleagues, our more recent paper is already available online at
the Helgolander Mar. Res. site:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/103796/

The paper is entitled:

Di Camillo C.J., Martin D. and Britayev T.A. (2010) Symbiotic
association between Solanderia secunda (Cnidaria, Hydrozoa,
Solanderiidae) and Medioantenna variopinta sp. nov. (Annelida,
Polychaeta, Polynoidae) from North Sulawesi (Indonesia). Helgoland
Marine Research, DOI 10.1007/s10152-010-0239-7

A mimic scale-worm was found associated with the athecate hydroid
Solanderia secunda, commonly found on reefs of the NW coast of North
Sulawesi, Indonesia. The species resembled Medioantenna clavata Imajima,
1997, which was originally described without any reference to a
symbiotic mode of life and later reported to be living on a solanderiid
hydroid both in Japanese waters. A detailed morphological analysis led
us to consider the Indonesian specimens as a new species, con-generic
with the Japanese species, namely Medioantenna variopinta sp. nov. The
new species differs from the type material of M. clavata as it has
elytra with one prominent finger-like papilla and all neurochaetae with
unidentate tip, instead of an elytral lump and both unidentate and
bidentate neurochaetae on segment two. In turn, the Japanese worms
associated to Solanderia are here referred to our new species. Two
morphological features in M. variopinta sp. nov. are rather unusual
among scale-worms. One of them is its extremely high level of bilateral
asymmetry and antero-posterior variability in elytral distribution and
the other one is its elongated, upwards directed nephridial papillae.
The morphology and geographical distribution of the host together with
the known characteristics of the symbiotic association have also been
highlighted.

Fore those non-having access to the journal, I may send you the PDF upon
request.

My best wishes for the recently started 2011.

Dani.

--
Dr. Daniel Martin

Scientific Researcher
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC)

Director
Centre d'Estudis Avancats de Blanes (CEAB)

->  Carrer d'acces a la Cala Sant Francesc 14
->  17300 Blanes (Girona), Catalunya (Spain)
->  Tel: (34) 972336101
->  Fax: (34) 972337806
->  WWW Institutional: http://www.ceab.csic.es
->  WWW Personal:      http://www.ceab.csic.es/~dani/