[Annelida] Re: Bioluminescent Marine Annelids

Paul Chambers via annelida%40net.bio.net (by paulmchambers from hotmail.com)
Tue May 17 10:06:27 EST 2011

This is a quick thank you to all those people that took the time to reply to my enquiry about luminescent worm. I was suprised at the number of e-mails I received and I apologise for not replying to everyone individually. As an amateur marine biologist without access to a university library, it is very useful to be able to draw on the expertise of others via online resources such as this List.

By general consensus, the glowing worms are cirratulids (and not syllids, as I stated; as you may have guessed I am not a annelid taxonomist) and are possibly in the genus Caulleriella, species of which are apparently known to bioluminesce. One of these species, C. bioculata, has been reported from the area where I saw the glowing worms, so this is perhaps a possibility.

Thank you again.

Paul