[Annelida] Any ideas as to what this is???

Joao Miguel de Matos Nogueira via annelida%40net.bio.net (by nogueira from ib.usp.br)
Tue Aug 14 17:40:51 EST 2012

Hi,
I couldn't open the files properly, so I just saw miniatures of the photos,
but those cirri really smooth at base, or just the phocus is on top and
basal articles are somewhat blurred?
If cirri are articulate throughout it could be a Syllis (subfamilly
Syllinae). It's true the pharygeal tooth looks slightly backwards for a
Syllis, but we have here a "Syllis prolifera" (the type-locality is in the
Mediterranean) which has tooth in that position and more or less similar
pigmentation (in larger specimens). If posterior acicullae are distally
hollow (only visible under light microscope, in a slide with a drop of
ethanol and cover; not difficult to see by transparency), I would say it is
a Syllis prolifera. (although in Brazilian specimens cirri articles look
more rounded)
Good luck with your specimens.
Cheers
João Nogueira
Departamento de Zoologia, IB - Universidade de São Paulo