Fwd: [Annelida] RE: Oligochaete with anal cirri?

James Blake via annelida%40net.bio.net (by jablake9 from gmail.com)
Thu Feb 2 10:16:20 EST 2012

I realize I had not sent this to the entire list.

Jim
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Blake <jablake9 from gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Annelida] RE: Oligochaete with anal cirri?
To: Geoff Read <Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz>

Geoff,

This is a paraonid.

There is an entirely unreported group of offshore paraonids that have a
type of crotchet or hooked neuroseta. Sometimes it appears bidentate owing
to an overhanging sheeth. There are a fair number of species, some quite
common in deep water. All are small and typically only retained on very
fine mesh sieves; most have anywhere from 3-12 pairs of branchiae, but at
least one abranchiate species is known to me, yours appears to be another.

We have tentatively placed these in the genus Levinsenia. All are new to
science.

Jim

 On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Geoff Read <Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz>wrote:

>  And here is a couple of small images, one of either end.  Magnification
> x200 or so.
>
> Geoff

James A. Blake, Ph.D.
Marine & Coastal Center