[Annelida] Oligochaete with anal cirri?

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Tue Feb 7 22:36:46 EST 2012

Hi all,

My apologies for the slow response.  Thank you to Jim Blake who has seen these previously often it seems, and hit the nail on the head with the morphology, and to everybody also for the suggestions,  some of which also hinted at Paraonidae and at Questidae (now in Orbiniidae), which do have similar chaetation.  I have rather limited material as yet but I think it's a Levinsenia-like abranchiate paraonid. I'm sure they're reasonably common in the environment, but even at 300 um sieving aren't being retained.  They are so thin - of small nematode dimensions.

I've put an order in for a few ethanol fixed samples from the next sampling at this offshore iron sands site.  Most of the polychaetes able to live in this material are very small, but getting unfixed live cores to process with meiofaunal techniques is difficult because of the logistics. There are other  worms of interest I've seen, and I'd be happy to provide some of these taxa for sequencing if I can get them.  Thanks for the offer Adrian.

I was sent the interesting paper of *Giere, Ebbe & Erseus (2007) on Questa, which also includes a new Levinsenia  of this type from Hawaii.  Much appreciated.

*Giere, O.; Ebbe, B.; Erseus, C. 2007. Questa (Annelida, Polychaeta, Orbiniidae) from Pacific regions - new species and reassessment of the genus Periquesta. Organisms Diversity & Evolution 7(4): 304-319.

The polygordiid with chaeta was not relevant - I was told it is very unlikely any such things exist.  The dubious genus Chaetogordius of Moore is probably based on fragments of two taxa.

Thanks everybody,

Geoff

From: Adrian Glover [mailto:a.glover from nhm.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, 3 February 2012 5:34 a.m.
To: ANNELIDA
Cc: James Blake; Geoff Read
Subject: Re: [Annelida] Oligochaete with anal cirri?

I have become quite intrigued by this little Thursday afternoon wormy discussion. Would you be interested Geoff to send us a piece of tissue and we will sequence it for you? Assuming you have material in ethanol. Perhaps we should have a wager; I am sure Jim is right but it also reminds me of cirratulid/ctenodrilids, particularly Raricirrus, which we are working on a little bit. Please do pop some sample in the airmail if you like, we will post the genetic results here to this list for anyone to use.
---
Dr Adrian Glover, Natural History Museum
homepage<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/staff-directory/zoology/a-glover/index.html> | publications<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=UAnD2y0AAAAJ&hl=en> | twitter<http://twitter.com/adrg1>
+44 20 7942 5056 (tel.) +44 7766 648 440 (mob.) adrianglover_mac (skype)