[Annelida] Ophelia remanei type location

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Wed Feb 22 17:45:55 EST 2012

Hi Charlene,

You are absolutely correct on the true origin of these synonymies. Thank you!

Chassé, C.; Picard, J. 1968. Identification, variabilité et ëcologie d'Ophelia rathkei McIntosh, espèce nouvelle pour les côtes Françaises. Cahiers de Biologie Marine 9: 133-142       Summary: The authors indicate the presence of an annelid polychete (family Opheliidae) long about 1 cm (-1/3 inch), in the sands of Roscoff (Brittany). The amplitude of variations concerning its morphological characters allows us to identify it with Ophelia rathkei McIntosh 1908 as well as with Ophelia remani [sic] Augener 1939 and Ophelia cluthensis McGuire 1935 which are known from the British Isles and from Germany; these polychetes form thus one single species (with 8 to 10 pairs of gills), living in well oxygenized, homometrical fine sands (median from 200 to 300) of neap-tide oscillation zone. Sands with this Ophelia finds intermittend [sic] between Ophelia bicornis (sands in the upper part) and those containing Travesia forbesi and Ophelia neglecta populations (in the lower part).

And "remani" is a misspelling introduced in the English and German summaries of this article (correctly "remanei" elsewhere in the body).

 Supported also in this note:
Wolff, W. J. 1969. A New Station of Ophelia rathkei McIntosh in Northern France. Cahiers de Biologie Marine 10: 83-84

Augener's types are in several European museums, but maybe Hamburg would be the place to look in this case?

Geoff

[intended for the list]