[Annelida] Ophelia remanei

Sergio Salazar via annelida%40net.bio.net (by savs551216 from hotmail.com)
Thu Feb 23 18:17:50 EST 2012

Dear David, Geoff and colleagues, Please take a look at Tebble N 1952 On three spcies of the genus Ophelia (Polychaeta) from British and adjacent waters. Ann Mag Nat Hist ser 12, 5:553-571. After a careful, quantitative study, he concluded (p 569): There is little doubt that O. rathkei is the earliest name available for the species represented by the material listed, but it is uncertain whether the latter name O. cluthensis McGuire, 1935, sensu stricto, is a synonym of the it or applicable to a distinct species. There are no differences in the body formulae, but McGuire described O. cluthensis as possessing two ventral anal papillae; Friedrich (1938) also distinguishes O. cluthensis from O. remanei Augener, 1939, by the possession of two as opposed to a single ventral anal papilla. It is, however, to be noted that Brown (1938) found no specimens with two ventral anal papillae in the type-locality of O. cluthensis, and that in Augener's O. remanei the single anal papilla is so deeply bifurcate (vide Friedrich, 1938, fig. 97a) that it could easily be mistaken by  two. It seems possible that there may be two, or even three, species with similar body formulae though with different anal formations, but more material and a re-examination of the types are necessary to clarify the position. I would recommend follow what Tebble suggested. Have fun, Sergio