[Annelida] substitution for formalin

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Fri Feb 24 20:36:08 EST 2012

My view is that, like a visit to the dentist, formalin fixation is an unpleasant but necessary process for long term protection from decay.  Ethanol as a fixative at proper concentration renders specimens so rigid and brittle they are almost unworkable with - except for DNA extraction, and at lower concentrations you can get unidentifiable mush.  Proprietory fixative formulas of unknown recipe are around. Trust a secret recipe - maybe not - and price might be a limitation.

Geoff

________________________________
From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] on behalf of Doug Strom [dstrom from waterandair.com]
Sent: 25 February 2012 10:15
To: Polychaete mailing list
Subject: Re: [Annelida] substitution for formalin

The USEPA has started using a product called NOTOXHisto:

http://www.scientificdevice.com/notoxhisto/

For the samples we have seen it appears to fix macroinvertebrates and in particular polychaetes pretty well.

Doug

[I sent this reply to Barbara, but meant it for the group as well. - DGS]

[X]
________________________________
Doug Strom
Project Scientist - Aquatic Ecologist
Water & Air Research Inc.
6821 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, Florida 32608
Toll Free: 800.242.4927<tel:800.242.4927>
Fax: 352.378.1500<tel:352.378.1500>
dstrom from waterandair.com<http://www.waterandair.com/>
www.waterandair.com<http://www.waterandair.com/>
Get a signature like this. <http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=19&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_19> CLICK HERE.<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=19&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_19>