[Annelida] Nephtys signifera Hilbig, 1992

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Wed Nov 7 03:16:02 EST 2012

Hi Nataly,

I’ve gone through Larry Lovell’s paper and updated WoRMS accordingly.  No guarantees I’ve got the moves since then up to date as well.

Just a comment. I don’t think one can have a split synonymy of a species name to two taxa.  There is only one new synonymy as such here, with any non-holotype _specimens_ that were misidentified in the original material reassigned as appropriate elsewhere (N. cornuta in this case). These specimens don’t have any unusual significance and don’t carry part of the species name away with them. So one needs to be careful of  the wording when misidentified _worms_ are reassigned in a synonymy listing. Anyway Larry has it correct in his abstract. It is simply that “… N. signifera is synonymized with N. ferruginea”

Geoff

From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of ??????? ????????????
Sent: Wednesday, 7 November 2012 5:39 a.m.
To: annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Annelida] Nephtys signifera Hilbig, 1992

Dear Geoff!

On WoRMS  database on page

http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=329560

we can see Nephtys signifera Hilbig, 1992

But Lovell 1997 made the new synonymy of this species with Nephtys ferruginea Berkeley and Berkely, 1945 (partium) and Nephtys cornuta Berkeley and Berkely, 1945 (partium)
•   Lovell L.L 1997. A review of six species of Nephtys (Cuvier, 1817) (Nephtyidae: Polychaeta) described from the Eastern Pacific. Bulletin of Marinp SCCII NCE 60(2) 350-363.

The best whishes

Nataly

Nataliya Dnestrovskaya
Senior Researcher