[Annelida] Clymene modesta Quatrefages, 1866 - Erratum

Joao Gil via annelida%40net.bio.net (by gil from ceab.csic.es)
Mon Nov 12 16:18:11 EST 2012

Dear all,

I did an OCR copy of the pdf of the book for myself, and I thought that
maybe some of you could be also interested. You can get it by using the
following link (it might take a while to upload, at least with my steam
powered laptop; the green download button is on the top, at the right):

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?gh9kjkgy54qrf5d

In fact, the pdf includes also the entire second part of volume 2, being the
first part from page 1-336, and the second from 337-794. The explanation of
the plates and the 20 plates are at the end of the book, but unfortunately
some of the plates were scanned while folded.

Please, note that the publication date of the three volumes is considered to
be 1866, in spite of the fact that the 3 volumes have 1865 printed in the
front page. Apparently the work was only available in 1866. You can find
more information on the publication dates of Quatrefages ‘ouvres’, as well
as a short biography of the artist and the list of the available type
material deposited at the MNHN (including the holotype of Clymene modesta –
MNHN POLY TYPE 451) at Vivianne’s (and collaborators) paper:

Solís-Weiss, V., Y. Bertrand, M.-N. Helléouet & F. Pleijel. 2004. Types of
polychaetous annelids at the Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, Paris.
Zoosystema, 26 (3): 377-384.

Grab your copy here (Zoosystema’s site):

http://www.mnhn.fr/museum/front/medias/publication/2557_z04n3a2.pdf

There is also an interesting paper by Kristian, where not only Quatrefages
is mentioned, but also Claparède’s permanent disagreements with Quatrefages’
work are explained. If you have used Claparède’s publications you are
already familiar with statements like “Malheureusement, fort de ses
recherches nombreuses et approfondies, l’auteur de l’Histoire naturelle des
Annelés a trop souvent oublié qu’il avait eu des prédécesseurs et que des
contemporains exploraient avec ardeur le même terrain que lui” (something
that still happens today, by the way...).

You can find it for your joy and fulfillment here (I think it is worth a
reading):

http://si-pddr.si.edu/jspui/bitstream/10088/3429/1/Fauchald1989.pdf

Fauchald, K. 1989. The second annual Riser lecture: eclectism and the study
of polychaetes. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 102
(3): 742-752.

Ok, I hope this helps. Thanks for reading this message.

All the best,

João

João Gil (PhD)
CEAB-CSIC
Carrer d'accés a la Cala Sant Francesc, 14
E-17300 BLANES (GIRONA)
SPAIN
Email:  <mailto:gil from ceab.csic.es> gil from ceab.csic.es
Telef. (34) 972.33.61.01
Fax: (34) 972.33.78.06

  _____