[Annelida] Clymene modesta Quatrefages, 1966 - Erratum

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Mon Nov 12 22:50:01 EST 2012

Dear Jérôme,

WoRMS Polychaeta has not got its Quatrefages data perfect yet, but we are getting there and are aware of the imperfections. If you look at the 'details' for the Quatrefages' Annelés marins volume two record at WoRMS ( http://www.marinespecies.org/polychaeta/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=51472  ) you will see there is this comment:

"Probably many species which should be linked here are linked to volume 1. (source id 51461).

And at source 51461 it says (as updated): "This is the main link to most polychaetes in Quatrefages Annelés marins. However many polychaetes in volume 2 belong under source 51472. These will be changed."

As a further interim alert I've also added an explanatory note that will be visible to all users _in bold_ with the source cite on all relevant species pages.

Hartman 1951 and her catalogues use just a combined reference to the two volumes and the little book of plates. As the two volumes have separate pagination her page references may not help. We are trying to be more precise at WoRMS. Not quite sure how the split in the WoRMS data evolved, but probably first a broad reference to both polychaete volumes of Quatrefages was set up, and then a decision made to differentiate the second volume as a separate record. Links to the 1st which should be to the 2nd volume will be fixed.  Anyone is free to point out to the relevant editors any links wanted to be updated right now, but you will need to provide the correct page number for the species in vol.2. I think I've fixed the maldanid ones. By the way if you look at the appendices to vol.2(2) you will find a few Clymene spp notes. So 2(2) does have a little bit of Maldanidae.

You were correct that the source information displayed on the species record didn't make clear the archives.org link was only to part 2 of volume two.  I've now replaced that old link with the Google one for the digitisation of all of volume two found by João Gil. Thanks very much to João.

Note that the 20 plates in the Google copy are not all in colour, whereas in the original there are always some coloured figures on every plate.

By the way the link to Volume one of Quatrefages is: http://books.google.com/books?id=FV9IAAAAYAAJ
I've added the link at WoRMS.

The third volume published later (1889) of "Histoire naturelle des annelés marins et d'eau douce"  covers oligochaetes etc (Lombriciniens, hirudiniens, bdellomorphes, térétulariens et planariens, par M. Léon Vaillant). It has a few polychaetes. If anyone can find that online let me know.

Cheers,

Geoff Read (WoRMS Polychaeta lead editor)