[Annelida] Global Marine Species Diversity - according to WoRMS

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Thu Nov 15 20:09:54 EST 2012

Hi all,

Ward Appeltans, Mark Costello and 120 helpers, including Kristian and myself, have a paper just released online using World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) data to analyse ocean diversity.

Current Biology. "The Magnitude of Global Marine Species Diversity" http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2012.09.036

Press release here: http://www.marinespecies.org/news.php?

Nature blog: http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/11/hundreds-of-thousands-of-undiscovered-marine-species-await-discovery.html

I think the proof is open access at the moment, but not the supplement.  If you don't have access then contact me. The supplement is interesting as it has quite lengthy comments from the various taxa experts on how they arrived at estimates of total undescribed in collections, unknown but likely, and cryptic.

One of the trends noticed is the increasing number of authors for each new species described. There are exceptions, but often a whole team will do just one species.

Geoff

PS: Mini blogging for Polychaeta is here! Keep up with the news via 'Polychaeta Species' @WPolyDb on Twitter.
http://twitter.com/WPolyDb  Also reflected on the WPolyDb  home page http://www.marinespecies.org/polychaeta/