[Annelida] Digital guide to Australian native and invasive polychaetes

Pat Hutchings via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Pat.Hutchings from austmus.gov.au)
Thu Feb 13 18:28:04 EST 2014

I suppose we need to make money we are broke and consultants who we suspect will be the main buyers make a fortune for clients re identifying pests--  beyond our control Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:annelida-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Geoff Read
Sent: Friday, 14 February 2014 10:02 AM
To: annelida from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: RE: [Annelida] Digital guide to Australian native and invasive polychaetes

Hi Lena,

An observation, and not meant as a criticism of the scientists in the team as I'm sure this wasn't something you guys had much control over. It is a mystery to me why the Australian Museum has gone against all other examples, and the open access trend, and have put access to this set of pages behind a paywall, and a rather steep paywall at that. As an intended public service from a taxpayer funded organisation one would expect it to be open access.  One would not expect it to be trying to be a fund-raiser for the museum.  Good luck with that by the way.

Quote: "It is critical to be able to accurately identify invasive polychaete species or potential new introductions and to distinguish between them and our native fauna."  And "How can you help solve these problems?  By purchasing our Invasive Polychaetes Identifier you will be able to quickly and accurately distinguish between non-native and native Australian species."

Well, by making it free and open, vastly more Australian people would be able to be citizen scientists, getting educated, and guarding the Australian coast by detecting these strange new arrivals early.

Ironic eh!

Very best,

Geoff Read

--