[Annelida] RE: Apomatus timsii Pixell, 1912

Reuscher, Michael via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Michael.Reuscher from tamucc.edu)
Tue Nov 11 11:18:40 EST 2014

Thank you all for your help! Thank you for your paper, Rolando!

Here some thoughts:
A. timsii was described with uncini starting in chaetiger 3. This is quite =
unusual as most Apomatus species have uncini from chaetiger 2. Unfortunatel=
y, I have not found a single description of A. geniculata that specifically=
 mentions in which chaetiger the uncini commence. But if they are present i=
n chaetiger 2, it may be significant difference.

Secondly, A. geniculata was described with 18 pairs of radioles, A. timsii =
with 40 pairs. I wonder if this is only a thing of small vs. big specimens =
(27 mm vs. 80 mm in the original descriptions) or if this quite large diffe=
rence is not an interspecific one?

Also, I doubt that Hartman (1969) examined type specimens of A. timsii. The=
refore, I think it is dangerous to base the synonymy of both species on non=
-type specimens deposited at LACM-AHF. Perhaps A. timsii should be consider=
ed valid until its type specimens have been examined?

wormly,
Michael

PS: Is the correct species name Apomatus geniculatus or A. geniculata?

Michael Reuscher, Ph.D.
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869
Corpus Christi, Texas 78412-5869
U.S.A.