[Annelida] Nereis splendida RE: Nereis falsa

Geoff Read via annelida%40net.bio.net (by Geoffrey.Read from niwa.co.nz)
Tue Aug 8 04:54:57 EST 2017

If I may make a further contribution.

I think Blainville (1825, vol. 34) recombines Hesione splendida of Savigny p.40 to Nereis splendida, but later (1828, vol.57) reverts it to the original Hesione.  Most importantly I think Blainville is not the author of Nereis splendida.

It has been overlooked, I don't know why, but Nereis splendida in Blainville (1825) is actually just a recombination of Hesione splendida Lamarck, 1818 (or 'Savigny in Lamarck' for some of you).  Hesione splendida is indeed very splendid and is a valid hesionid.  Thus the combination Nereis splendida (Lamarck) created by Blainville is a superseded subsequent combination. It is a completely mistaken re-assignment by Blainville, who wrongly placed all sorts of diverse annelids into Nereis.  He made taxonomic messes, not just in this instance.

Thus this 1825 "Nereis splendida" temporary recombination does not threaten by primary homonymy the better known 1840 Nereis splendida Grube.  As the taxa are secondary homonyms and not now considered congeneric Grube's name is still available, can be used, and does not need to be replaced (article 59.2). This is contrary to older opinions (Day 1962) and more recent ones.

Gravina et al (2015) place Nereis splendida Grube, 1840 as a synonym of Nereis falsa Quatreges, 1866. Also Sergio et al (2017) thought N. splendida Grube was unavailable. However, as Grube's name does not need to be replaced, Vieitez et al (2004: 513) are more correct in placing the junior Nereis falsa as a subjective synonym of the senior N. splendida, so that is the treatment WoRMS will use for now.   I have no ideas on whether they are really synonyms or not.

Human interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Marie_Ducrotay_de_Blainville

Nereis splendida (Lamarck, 1818)  http://www.marinespecies.org/polychaeta/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=334197

Let me know if you spot any errors.

Cheers,