[Annelida] Postdoctoral opportunity

Osborn, Karen via annelida%40net.bio.net (by OsbornK from si.edu)
Fri Nov 17 16:01:35 EST 2017

Hi All, This is not really a polychaete or crustacean specific project but it could be depending on the applicants interests.  Please see below about a postdoc opportunity available now.

We are searching for a postdoctoral scholar interested in a bioinformatics and a combination of biogeography, larval biology, or oceanography.  We have metabarcoding data from the Florida Current Region of the Gulf Stream (http://ocean.si.edu/streamcode-planktonic-diversity-gulf-stream) we would like to compare to similar datasets from the MarineGEO & Tennenbaum Marine Observatories Network sites throughout the Caribbean and US East Coast  (https://marinegeo.si.edu/). The below call for postdoctoral proposals is looking for focused project proposals that make the most of the vast amount of data MarineGEO has generated so far.  We are excited about the idea of combining our datasets to look at biogeography, larval dispersal, and Gulf Stream fauna sources and sinks.

We would work closely with the applicant to develop a proposal that fits the scope of the in-hand data and the resources available.  We would also encourage applicants to develop research questions specific to their particular interests and skills.  Because of the very focused nature of the MarineGEO postdoctoral fellowship search this year, the chances of being funded are good. Applicants should have strong bioinformatics skills, and knowledge of either biogeography, oceanography, or larval biology.  If interested please see the below proposal call and contact Karen Osborn (osbornk from si.edu<mailto:osbornk from si.edu>) or Michael Boyle (boylem from si.edu<mailto:boylem from si.edu>) for more information.

Proposal call: https://marinegeo.si.edu/marinegeo-postdoctoral-fellowship-call-proposals
Target Initiative: Biodiversity baseline
Duration: 2 years
Location:  Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Edgewater, MD; Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USA.
Compensation: $50,400/year
Research budget: to $15,000

Cheers,
Karen
—
Karen Osborn
Research Zoologist/Curator of Polychaetes, Peracarids and Plankton
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
w 202.633.3668  osbornk from si.edu<mailto:osbornk from si.edu> http://invertebrates.si.edu/osborn/
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-4226-9257

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/nmnh.fanpage/>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/NMNH>  |  Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/smithsoniannmnh/>

Mail: Department of Invertebrate Zoology, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, MRC-163
P.O. Box 37012, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012 USA

Courier Address: Smithsonian Institution, MR 0163, Natural History, West Loading Dock, 10th and Constitution Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20560