[Annelida] Open access

Aida Verdes via annelida%40net.bio.net (by aida.verdes from uam.es)
Wed Feb 27 06:03:28 EST 2019

Dear Geoff,

This issue has been raised before, and I believe everybody here would love to make our work accessible for the benefit of the scientific community and the general public, but as it was pointed out by many people in this list there are several hurdles that unfortunately prevent us from doing that. Those include the high cost of publishing open access (~2000$) and the fact that early career researchers have to take into account the impact factor and other metrics of the journals where we publish since that is how we are being evaluated for academic positions, tenure and grants. But I don’t want to go over this again, we all know how the system works and whether it is fair or not is another debate.

I just wanted to say that I appreciate you raising the issue again and pledging for open access publishing, but it might be more helpful to come up with constructive proposals, such as maybe creating an open access journal dedicated to annelid taxonomy and systematics, run by the International Polychaetology Association. Or maybe having a free repository with the preprints available for download. We could also make a list of open access journals that don’t charge publication fees for everybody to have in mind. Anyways, that’s just my two cents.

Best,
Aida

____________________________
Aida Verdes, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher
Departamento de Biología
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
Darwin 2, Madrid 28049 (Spain)
Tel: +34 914 973 761
Email: aida.verdes from uam.es
Twitter: @a <https://twitter.com/aida_verdes?lang=es>ida_verdes <https://twitter.com/aida_verdes?lang=es>

2020 Gordon Research Seminar Chair
Venom Function, Evolution, and Applications
August 8-9, 2020 (GRS) <https://www.grc.org/venom-evolution-function-and-biomedical-applications-grs-conference/2020/> / August 9-14, 2020 (GRC) <https://www.grc.org/venom-evolution-function-and-biomedical-applications-conference/2020/>
Mount Snow, 89 Grand Summit Way
West Dover, VT 05356 (USA)
Twitter: @grcvenom <https://twitter.com/grcvenom?lang=es>