[Annelida] Open access

Kenneth Halanych via annelida%40net.bio.net (by ken from auburn.edu)
Wed Feb 27 10:04:31 EST 2019

Geoff - I would echo some of Aida’s comments.

The original intent behind Open Access is laudable. However, it has also proven to be problematic. Namely several Open Access journals - including the several big and reputable ones - have little to know editing. You are suppose to be paying to maintain the open access of your publication — but you often pay for A LOT more. PLOS serves as an illustrative example of this.

Also I think is it important to realize the potential impact of things like PLAN-S in Europe. The idea was hastily put together with a questionable amount of input and not well thought out.  There has been considerable discussion of this in both Europe and the USA. Importantly, such efforts may have devastating impacts on Societies that are often dependent on journal revenue. Thus it will, in my humble opinion, have a negative impact on science. I think it would be OK to mandate that research must be published as open access, but I think demanding that is  published in a venue that is 100% open access is an overreach.

A good bit of this seems to have less to do with science and more to do with reining in large for profit publishers. Thus to some degree for the funders to say this is about "getting science to all" is disingenuous.  As a researcher, it has GREATLY inflated what I pay for getting papers out (page charge or OA charges) - funds that could have been used to support a graduate student. Ideally grants will cover these OA, but that is not how ti has worked out. We all know that the funding agencies (many who are pushing this) are under ever tightening budgets.  The Blog you point out is interesting - but it should be point out that Frontiers has a vested interest in seeing Plan S get implemented sooner rather than later. Given this their point of view, their editorial is not surprising.

I would also point out the editorial in PNAS BY Marci McNutt  - https://www.pnas.org/content/116/7/2400.

I think OA is a good thing in many ways, but PLAN S goes way too far.

Ken Halanych