[Annelida] Open access

Eduardo Zattara via annelida%40net.bio.net (by ezattara from umd.edu)
Wed Feb 27 10:40:00 EST 2019

OA just does not work if you lack dedicated funding to pay APCs. Moving to
full OA works only for those countries that are ready to provide such
funds. Many countries are not "poor" enough to be listed among those whose
researchers get full waivers for APC, but still constrained enough that
researchers will hardly spend $2K+ of their meager grant funds on paying
APCs instead of using it for doing actual research.

I think the best option we have to move forward and ensure our work can be
accessible to anyone regardless of publication venue, is to make a habit of
posting preprints to preprint servers like bioRxiv and others. Preprints at
servers can be updated, and even though some journals do not allow posting
as pre-print peer-reviewed revised drafts, authors are free to make
corrections of their own and post their own updates, even citing the
published version (even if behind a paywall) as supporting evidence.

Those were my two cents...

 Cheers!

        -Ed-

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life :
bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky"

--------------
Dr. Eduardo E. Zattara

Visiting Scientist                            |    Research Associate
Department of Invertebrate Zoology   |    Department of Biology
National Museum of Natural History  |   College of Comp., Math. and Natural
Sciences
Smithsonian Institution                    |   University of Maryland,
College Park

email: ezattara from gmail.com <ezattara from umd.edu>
phone: +1 (812) 369 9301
mail address: 0249 Biology/Psychology bldg, University of Maryland, College
Park, MD 20742
http://www.life.umd.edu/biology/bely/people-EduardoZattara.html
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/eduardo-zattara/28/984/84b