[Annelida] Open access

Paulo Lana via annelida%40net.bio.net (by lana from ufpr.br)
Thu Feb 28 16:17:33 EST 2019

Dear colleagues,

Please also consider the open access Zoologia, the journal of the=20
Sociedade Brasileira de Zoologia (SBZ), which publishes original=20
scientific articles on zoology, authored by members and non-members of=20
the Society.=A0 The journal provides immediate open access to its content=
=20
on the principle that making research freely available to the public=20
supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.The Brazilian Zoological=20
Society will subsidize one article/year for long-standing members of the=20
society (4 years) and provide partial subsidy to the remaining members.=20
Non-members have the option either to cover the article processing=20
charges (which are unfortunately high for most researchers) per article=20
of up to 20 published pages, or request the Brazilian Zoological Society=20
for discount or waiver before submission. The payment policies are also=20
published in the Society=92s homepage (http://sbzoologia.org.br). If you=20
pay, at least you know you are paying to support a serious scientific=20
society, which is heavily dependent on the journal revenues, as=20
anticipated by Ken Halanych. The current impact factor of Zoologia is=20
0.72, not that bad for taxonomical stuff. It is increasing yearly.

As far as it goes with the polychaetological literature, we have had a=20
very efficient way to access=A0 "difficult" or expensive papers for a=20
number of years, which is this list :-) Of course the overall efficiency=20
of such a system will always depend on the work and good will of persons=20
like Geoff. If more of us were more involved in that, complaints would=20
be less. When I presided our association, I suggested both the creation=20
of an "internal/informal" literature depository to be shared among=20
polychaetologists and the creation of a periodical on annelids. Both=20
ideas were duly torpedoed at the time. I forgot the reasons.

Regards,

Paulo Lana

On 28/02/2019 12:16, Sergio Salazar wrote:
> Dear Aida, Geoff, Igor, Ken and colleagues,
>
> These might be interesting to try because there is no polychaete taxono=
my journal:

> Free open-access journals accepting taxonomic research papers
>
> Cahiers de Biologie Marine: http://application.sb-roscoff.fr/cbm/issue.=
htm?execution=3De10s1

> European Journal of Taxonomy: https://europeanjournaloftaxonomy.eu/inde=
x.php/ejt

> Invertebrate Zoology*: http://kmkjournals.com/journals/Inv_Zool
>
> Neotropical Biodiversity: https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/tneo20
>
> Zoological Studies: http://zoolstud.sinica.edu.tw/
>
> Zoosystema: http://sciencepress.mnhn.fr/en/periodiques/zoosystema
>
> * Apparently without Impact Factor.
>
> Almost-free open access journals accepting taxonomic research papers
>
> Revista de Biolog=EDa Tropical: https://revistas.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/rb=
>

> ________________________________
ana.edu> en nombre de Aida Verdes <aida.verdes from uam.es>
> Enviado: mi=E9rcoles, 27 de febrero de 2019 08:03 p. m.
> Para: Igor Jirkov
> CC: Geoff Read; annelida from net.bio.net
> Asunto: Re: [Annelida] Open access
>
> Dear Igor,
>
> I was thinking more of a dedicated journal for Annelids, similar to the=
 Journal of Molluscan Studies of the Malacological Society of London, but=
 publishing open access and free of charge. I don=92t think a journal lik=
e that exists, but please correct me if it does.

> In any case, thank you very much for pointing out those journals, I act=
ually did not know some of them existed. This was another suggestion that=
 I think could be helpful, coming up with a list of open access journals =
that don=92t charge publication fees. Although I would probably not inclu=
de Zootaxa as authors are *strongly encouraged* to pay a fee to grant fre=
e online access.

> Anyways, regarding publishing OA, I agree with Eduardo that the best op=
tion to make our work accessible to everyone seems to be posting preprint=
s in bioRxiv and servers alike.

> All the best,
> Aida
>

>> On Feb 27, 2019, at 6:44 PM, Igor Jirkov <ampharete from yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Aida Verdes wrote: =93but it might be more helpful to come up with con=
structive proposals, such as maybe creating an open access journal dedica=
ted to annelid taxonomy and systematics=94