Transient protoplast assays

Robert M. Straubinger rms at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Aug 27 22:30:04 EST 1991

Has there been any success using liposomes as vectors
for transient expression? I believe there were some positive
carrot- and tobacco-protoplast results ca. '79-'82, and
if work with newer liposome formulations (eg. DOTMA)
in animal cells is any indication, there might be considerably
higher efficiency of delivery possible now, compared
with those older results. There might be rationale for trying
if electroporation and PEG methods have unacceptable toxicity.
	(Forgive my ignorance if arabidopsis protoplasts have no
'functional' resemblance to those mentioned above!)

Bob
rms at acsu.buffalo.edu