Nomenclature

Rob Last Rob_Last at QMRELAY.MAIL.CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jul 12 15:27:52 EST 1991

REGARDING                Nomenclature
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 91 10:01:30 -0400
From: burr at bnlux1.bnl.gov (Benjamin Burr)
To: rob_last at qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu
Subject: nomenclature
Cc: burr at bnlux1.bnl.gov

Dear Rob,
	Maize gene nomeclature is in the midst of a revision, and your
problem is one we are dealing with.  My opinion is that the final
solution you propose, however distasteful it may be to you is the most
logical one.  Genes based on phenotype have been numbered in the order
of their discovery.  Genes mapped on the basis of RFLPs are given names
that reflect their apparent function.  I personally believe that it does
no good to rename genes named for phenotype once their enzymatic
function becomes known.  In most cases, the new name has less mnemonic
value than the old one.
				Ben Burr