Seed Surface Sterilization

Thu Jul 11 21:45:00 EST 1991

Dear Network,

I recommend the following procedure to anyone who needs to surface
sterilize seeds obtained from LEHLE SEEDS.

	Conduct the following steps using standard aseptic technique.

	1.  Soak the seeds in sterile water for 30 minutes.
	2.  Decant the water, add 95% EtOH and soak for 5 minutes exactly.
	3.  Decant the EtOH, add 10% Chlorox bleach and soak for 5 minutes
	4.  Rinse seeds 5 times with sterile water.
	5.  Add ampicillin (Sigma) at 100 ug per mL of final medium to
	    control bacteria.

In my hands, I achieve excellant results with this procedure.

I want to add, that LEHLE SEEDS has tried very hard to product quality
I want to add, that LEHLE SEEDS has tried very hard to produce quality
seed products for the Arabidopsis research community.  If there are
problems, then I want to hear about them.  But frankly, I feel it is
unfair to my company to discuss such issues in this forum before I have
had an opportunity to address them privately.

Fred Lehle, owner
6531 North Camino Katrina
Tucson AZ 85718  USA
Tel. 602-544-0733 (voice)